12 Things to Enjoy in Mojácar in the Early Season

Sara Dobak

Hi, I’m Sara, founder and writer at Travel Continuum, where I write about my global travel experiences, with a special passion for the stars and sustainability. I believe in the power of education through travel, and here I share the tales and tips that I find interesting and inspiring. I hope that you do too.

continuum /kənˈtɪnjʊəm/: a sequence of elements where the extremes are very different, but each individual stage is barely distinguishable from the next.

Something that keeps going, changing gradually over time…like the seasons.

You may also like...

14 Responses

1. Sounds lovely! Although I think I’d skip the nudist beach. Even twenty years ago I don’t think I could do that! I can imagine that it is liberating but I feel no need to be liberated, thank you 😉

2. Thanks so much for mentioning me in your post and I feel very honoured to have inspired you to write this one! I think Spain is one of the best places to visit off season because it changes so much in summer. I have a habit of visiting Ibiza in October, and I honestly don’t think I would even want to go in July! I haven’t been to Mojacar at all, but I think I’d be with you in preferring the hilltop village and hanging out off season checking out the castle and views.

• Sara Dobak says:

A pleasure, Jaillan – I do that a lot…pick up a comment or thought embedded somewhere and roll with it 🙂 You’re right about Spain lending itself well to off season travel because of the contrast between seasons…….hmmm…countries with the biggest variations between seasons…Jaillan, you may have just done it again!! 😉

3. I’ve become a convert and love traveling in the off season. I’ve only been to the Costa Brava area of Spain and absolutely adored it. Great food and amazing views. Would love to get back and travel further south to the area you describe. It sounds just as remarkable.

• Sara Dobak says:

I hope you do one day, Alison – I think the region had a bad rap for a few years, as an ex-pat hot-spot, which was true to an extent – but if you know where to look….and WANT to, you can easily find the original flavour of Spain.

4. Mojácar – it’s never made it onto my radar, but I like the look of it. Out-of-season trips rock my world too. So thanks for sharing 🙂

5. Anna Parker says:

I love that desert scenery – we have been to Almeria but never outside the town! Shoulder season is my favourite too, less Brits abroad is always good!!

• Sara Dobak says:

Fewer Brits, yes! I can’t argue with that, Anna – even though I AM one when I’m there 😉 (although I tell myself that being half Spanish too absolves me of that ignominy!)

6. Lucy says:

I’m a big fan of the off-season trip too (writing this in wintery Cornwall in fact!). I don’t think I’d even heard of Mojácar though but it looks lovely, Spain has so much to offer away from the usual touristy bits.

• Sara Dobak says:

It certainly does – it still feels like a second home to me and each time I go back I can’t wait to go exploring even more 🙂

7. We visited Bedar, a small town in the hills above Mojacar, in October a year or two ago. The weather was still gorgeous and we popped down to Mojacar and had a wander. Such a lovely area of Spain which I’d be happy to revisit to check out some of your recommendations.

• Sara Dobak says:

That’s great to hear, Suzanne 🙂 I had lunch in Bedar once, it’s one of the prettiest of all the nearby villages and towns. I’d definitely suggest the Calar Alto Observatory, even if it’s just for the scenic drive and spectacular views – you can actually go right across the Sierra de los Filabres, from one side of the mountains to the other, taking in the Observatory en route – it’s stunning! 🙂